West Side Baptist Church was established in 1945. From our modest beginnings, we now have a campus which includes a sanctuary, education building, children’s building, youth building and family life center with gymnasium.
Based on the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:18-20, the mission of West Side Baptist Church is to spread the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all people through worship, teaching, equipping believers for service, encouraging personal witness and stewardship, and providing meaningful fellowship, accomplishing this in the power of the Holy Spirit. We further commit our resources of time, spiritual gifts, finances, programs and facilities to this mission.
West Side supports world missions through the Southern Baptist Cooperative Program and Lexington Baptist Association. Mission efforts include foreign, home, and state mission offerings as well as solid involvement in community mission efforts. We also offer the opportunity to participate in home and foreign mission trips.
What We Believe
We subscribe to the generally accepted statement of faith as set forth in “The Baptist Faith and Message” adopted by the Southern Baptist Convention in 2000. Some of our basic beliefs include the following:
The Eternal God is Creator and Sustainer of the universe.
Jesus Christ is God’s eternal Son, born of a virgin.
All people are sinners in need of a Savior.
Jesus died on the cross to save sinners.
People are saved by grace through life changing faith in Jesus Christ.
The church is a local, autonomous body of believers who voluntarily covenant together to seek to know and do God’s will.
The Bible, divinely inspired of God, is our only authentic and authoritative guide for belief and practice.
The mission of the church is to declare the gospel of Christ as God’s power to salvation, to nurture the family of believers and to minister to believers and non-believers in the community.
Joining West Side
We invite all to join our family of faith. At the conclusion of all worship services we extend an invitation to all by singing a hymn of personal commitment. At this time those who wish to make a commitment to Christ and to His church may do so. You may become a member in any one of these ways:
- To profess your faith in Jesus and to request baptism. After baptism you will have all the rights and responsibilities of membership.
- By promise of letter from a previous church if you have been baptized or by statement of previous membership in another Baptist church when no letter is available.
- By statement that you have had a personal experience of salvation and have been baptized by immersion on the basis of that experience.
Benefits of membership:
- It provides you a spiritual family to support and encourage you.
- It gives you a place to discover and use your gifts in ministry.
- It places you under the spiritual protection of godly leaders.
- It gives you the accountability you will need to grow as a Christian.